15 Ways to de-stress
Updated: Nov 6, 2020
Modern day life is often experienced as stressful and demanding as we juggle multiple responsibilities and tasks.
Stress can be considered a normal response to day to day demands, but left unchecked can lead to a feeling of emotional overwhelm and inability to cope. Taking steps to reduce stress can prevent illness.
Its very easy for stress to build up over time and cause illness, disease and other mental health problems like depression and burn out.
A build up of stress causes the body to move into 'fight or flight' mode. When this happens adrenaline and cortisol hormones are released into the blood stream causing blood pressure to rise, muscles to tighten and heart beat faster. Being in a constant heightened state of stress over time can causes numerous health problems like heart attack, stroke, depression and anxiety. There are many causes of stress including work, relationship problems, financial problems etc. Its really important to find ways 'to cope with stress and help deal with stressors in your life.
Here are some tips to managing stress in your life:
- Be active and exercise regularly
- Eat well
- Make sure you get plenty of sleep
- Connect and reach out to friends and loved ones
- Take control and think of solutions to minimise what's causing you stress
- Take up a new skill or hobby that nourishes you
- Volunteer and give to others
- Reduce time spent on social media and internet
- Reprioritise or decrease your commitments
- Work or study smarter not harder
- Exercise good boundaries and learn to say no
- Practice mindfulness and try to live in the moment
- Take time out and learn to meditate
- Spend time and surround yourself in nature
- Do things that make YOU happy!
So the take home message is.....whilst you can't totally eliminate stress from your life, there are things you CAN DO to minimise the negative impact it has on your life. What a relief, phew!